Many students are interested in Foreign Exchange programs. Studying & living abroad is a wonderful experience. In a average school year, two CHS students are living in another country as exchange students and we welcome four or five international students to CHS. Here are some basic facts to know if you are considering an exchange.
– Exchange programs can last 1 semester or 1 year. Some programs also run 4-8 week summer programs.
– Generally, your Junior year is the best year to go. It’s difficult to get graduation & college plans squared away if you are out of the country during your senior year.
– Most exchange programs have some basic requirements. Students usually must be between 15-18 years of age. Some have a minimum GPA requirement, often 2.8 or higher. Depending on the program and/or country, there may also be language requirements.
– Cost of exchange programs varies widely. For semester or school year programs the costs can be anywhere from $3000-$9000. This cost does not include airfare or living expenses. It covers the actual exchange program only.
– Not every exchange program allows you to choose your destination. Often, you will have a “wish list” of 3-6 countries or you may be guaranteed a geographical region (e.g South America, Eastern Europe, etc.)
– Canby High School will accept credits earned while you are on exchange (maximum of 8.0 credits). These classes are listed with a “P” for Pass rather than a letter grade.
Below is a list of some state-approved exchange programs with representatives in Oregon.
AFS International Programs
ASSE International Student Exchange Programs
North West Student Exchange
Youth For Understanding
Cultural Homestay International
Education First Foundation
Education, Travel and Culture
International Student Exchange